Friday, December 26, 2008

Post-Christmas...

Well, the kids are still sleeping. I woke up with an achy tooth. Must be from all the sweets I had this week...

One thing I forgot to share.

Coming home from my sister's Christmas Eve, I was driving home carefully. I knew one of my headlights was out. And well, there's really nothing you can do about it on Christmas, right? Nothing's open. And living in a small town can be a bit of a problem (but I really don't care about that...).

I drove not fast. Just slow enough but at a comfortable speed. Didn't know what the roads would be like going home...after all, it had been raining all day.

Red flashing lights. If you see only ONE red siren light on the middle of a car roof, you know that's the State Trooper.

Huh, what did I do?

So I dutifully pulled over. Of course I was blinded by the search light. I turned on my overhead light and kind of kept both hands out so the officer could see. But had to block the glare of the search light bouncing off my mirror. He thankfully stood in front of that mirror to block the searchlight. I was able to see him very clearly. Most officers do not come up that far to your window. They tend to stand "at your shoulder" and ask for your id's, etc. Not this one. Hm...that was a surprise.

"What seems to be the problem, sir?"

"Are you aware your headlight is out?"

"Oh yes, sir. That's why I'm driving carefully home. And I will have it taken care of immediately when something is open."

He actually smiled. Asked for my license. Had to dig through my purse for that one. I should really have asked for a nice wallet for Christmas. Out came receipts, lipstick, change, etc. Aha, here it is!

My husband is sweating a little. I don't know if he was nervous or just sweating it out from having too much to eat.

I'm feeling just fine. Within minutes, the trooper comes back, and smiles, tells me I'm all set. And....

"Merry Christmas."

"You too, sir. I wish you a very merry one too. Thank you."

And put my license away, turned off my hazard lights, and carefully got back on the road and off to home. If I could whistle, I would have done that. We drove home in silence.

Gave silent thanks to God.

I shared with another sister who stopped by yesterday, and shared this. And she commented because if I have a very good driving record, that is why he let me go. If I had any points or tickets, I would be in trouble. ALSO....I have the Deaf Cafe-Flint magnet on the "butt" of the van so that is why the trooper came up to block the light. Awww.

Truly a very Merry Christmas.

I never got to make the eggnog bread. I have too much other food that needs to be eaten. I have 3 pies yet to finish. I have ... just too much.

Today, not sure exactly what I'm doing. Probably take the kids to their grandma's for the week.

And another crazy weather ahead.

Have a good post-Christmas day. It's just so nice to be off, and sleeping in....ah yes.

No comments: