Monday, January 12, 2009

Surfin' the storm...

Surfing the Storm. A report by Kirstan. January 11, 2009.

Last Friday late afternoon was an adventure.

You know how people surf the waters in California, or Hawaii or Australia...(Florida too, I guess)...

Well, we have a winter version of that.

The family van is the surfboard.

The "waves" is the snowstorm.

We're surfing the edge of the storm until we reached north of Brighton....and all was calm....

We were really glad we were able to get out of there...it was extremely difficult and going probably no more than 45 mph on the freeway (our freeways let you go up 70 on a good day).

Got all set up for Deaf Cafe and then Saturday, the snow came....hit the Flint area. Well, we rode with a friend who has a 4 wheel drive. We were so thankful for that! Arrived at the place, and we practiced and prayed.

Well, the team members from the Ann Arbor area had to turn around and go home---the roads were so bad, 7 cars have gone off the road. So...they made the right decision.

Funny, the center we have our program at did not own a snow shovel (we agreed we'd buy one to keep in our Deaf Cafe trailer so we can shovel!) and they use push broom ...but that's not really much help. And it was really snowing hard.

7 brave souls showed up...and there were 12 team members there that night...so we went ahead and had a great program.

Sunday we decided not to risk driving until we gave the trucks time to clear the roads. So we visited a local church and then the roads were better on the drive home.

I was really amazed to see how much snow has come down....wow! Got home, and as much as I wanted to nap, I had to take care of some business and well...I never got my nap....

It's Monday today and well, I'm beat. I'm going to eat something and crawl in my warm bed....watch some stuff on TV and then ...off to saw some logs.

That is my report of what I did over the weekend.

The end.

No comments: