Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seriously...

What is it with people falling down? Nearly breakin' their necks???

I wouldn't think twice when it comes to helping someone out.

Today, when I drove the husband to a friend's house to watch some testerone-filled football game, I wanted to wait make sure that someone is (isn't) home before driving away...I was watching this woman walk with a cane, very carefully.

She slipped. Ouch.

So I parked the van and jumped out, not thinking about my own safety...walked on the snow and noticed the sidewalk was completely iced-over. So I ran over to the woman and asked her if she was okay (yes) and can I help her? (oh thank you) and I took her bags. She didn't want to lean on my shoulder or anything so I just kinda held her bags and told her best thing to do is walk on the snow-covered yard. So we did.

For very long minutes. She doesn't seem old. She seems to be in my age range. And she's talking in a very soft voice (me: uh-huh, be careful there...want me help you step across?) and finally made it to her door.

Deep breath and a louder, "thank you".

I told her it was no problem. And to have a wonderful day.

I think her bottom will be sore for a while.

Whereas, one of my dearest friend ....if I read her email right, she loaded her shopping cart too full, and hurt her back, THEN she slipped. So her bottom/hip is sore too.

And she's not even 50!

Guess it's a day of feeling...so ancient or something.

Just last Sunday, a friend of mine stepped into something she thought was smushy ice, but it was actually...black ice and she broke her ankle! (yes, the Pastor mentioned it today...cautioned us to take care).

I'm comforting myself with a bowl of ice-cream for dinner. Yeah. Very comforting.

Just helped my son wrap a gift for a party they weren't able to have last month...due to the snow storm of the year (the one that I got sick, and bravely drove off to find out the university was CLOSED!).

Now we're just chillin' out. I know I'll get cold after eating my bowl of ice cream.

But it was a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling when I was able to help someone out.

I made a great casserole for our Deaf Ministry's potluck today.

One elderly deaf woman loved it so much (when I apologized for the spiciness of the green chilis) she gave me pad of paper and wanted me to write the recipe down! Oh wow!

So, my memory did pretty good....(thank you, Jesus!).

Quick Chicken Tortilla Bake (or something like that)

2 cans Cream of Chicken soup
1 can (10.5 oz) of diced tomatos with chili peppers
10-12 tortillas (can be flour or corn)
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
shredded cheese (mexican seasoned or cheddar)

Prepare the cream of chicken soup with the diced tomatos/chili peppers...mix together. I like to pour the chopped chicken into the mixture as well.

Shred or cut up the tortillas into bite sized pieces.

Put a layer of tortilla pieces on bottom of casserole dish.

Pour half of the mixture over the tortilla pieces.

Another layer of tortilla pieces on top of the mixture.

Pour rest of mixture.

Top off with remaining tortilla pieces. Wrap foil tightly to cover the dish, put into preheated oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly.

Remove foil, sprinkle cheese atop. Bake for few more minutes until completely melted.

Enjoy. I like to serve with sour cream or salsa.

No comments: