Thursday, July 10, 2008

July 10, 2000


On this date 8 years ago, my son was born at around 10:15 pm on a Monday evening.

I did not know if I was having a boy or girl for about 8 months. The doctor saw no reason for an ultrasound. But, deep inside, my guts told me it was a boy. I had focused on choosing boy names.

When Joshua was born, as they placed him on my belly, I only saw the back. I demanded them to tell me if it was a boy or girl. The doctor was startled and lifted the baby's leg. "It's a boy".

(Kind of made me think of someone checking newborn puppies' sex)

Joshua David Wayne...
Joshua was picked from the bible, meaning bold/brave. And because it also means Jesus.
David was named after my stepdad, David, who is currently called Opa by his many grandchildren. Also named after his uncle David, who is his daddy's brother.
Wayne for his great-uncle, on his dad's side.

So, Joshua has 2 middle names. What a mouthful. It gets easier for me to yell if he's in trouble with me and I use his full name, last name included.

I love M*A*S*H. I love to watch their reruns. Many nighttime feedings, I'd be in the living room with Joshua and feeding him. Whenever the theme music came on, Josh would stop eating and listen. As he got older, whatever he was doing, and the theme music came on, he'd stop. When it finished, he'd go back to eating or doing whatever he had been doing. At this age, he continues to stop and listen to the theme music (yes I still watch reruns).

He has grown so big in his 8 years. I am so amazed everyday with his ability to communicate full ASL with my husband Tony, who is deaf, and with his daddy, uncle Dave, and his grandmother, who are all deaf.

Joshua's first language was ASL. Being exposed to a deaf family that consisted of: deaf mom and dad, deaf grandparents, "Grandma and Popo" that lived next door, and a deaf uncle, plus many deaf friends who would visit the uncle that lived next door with the grandparents. Talk about full ASL exposure! Even a deaf dalmatian!

When Joshua's dad and I broke up, we remained friends and continued to grow in our friendship and relationship with the uncle and grandparents.

Joshua was extremely close to Popo. When Popo died a few years go, Joshua was very heartbroken. But as time went by, it got easier for him.

If you came over to my house today, you might find yourself watching Joshua's hands flying so fast. His facial expressions, his body language...it's just amazing. This is amazing for a 8 year old who communicates so well, and can develop ASL concepts if he gives it some thought beforehand. You would be amazed to watch his conversation with his deaf grandma over the VideoPhone. You would be amazed if you watched him conversing with our special friend, TJ, and having the patience with him.

With his involvement in our Deaf Cafe-Flint ministry, we have used him often as a junior stage actor.

Nowadays, he is active in baseball (he has a game tonight), he plays piano really well, and loves to play various video or computer games. He has one "bestest best friend", Seth, whom we gave a new sign name last night. Because Seth LOVES milk, we gave him the sign name Milk.

Tomorrow night, we'll have a small party. Seth has been invited to stay over, and we'll go mini-golfing and have Chinese for dinner. And conclude with ice cream (Josh is not a cake eater, just like me).

Happy Birthday, Joshua. You were my biggest surprise of all, as you are the first boy born in my side of the family. You may have been born 6 weeks early, but you were too big to be a preemie--at 6 lbs and 4 oz. You pushed yourself when your body couldn't keep up...you are the most determined boy I have ever known. And I'm very proud to call you my son. You amaze me every day. God has truly blessed me with you.

1 comment:

Growing Up Deaf in a Hearing World said...

Happy Birthday Joshua! 8 years old already! Where have the years gone. You keep impressing all of us with your ASL skills and your many other talents. God has big plans for you in the years ahead! Hugs... Brenda