Monday, July 14, 2008

SURVIVOR:Michigan...

I survived the weekend. The Lord has been SO GOOD TO ME! Thank You, Jesus!

FRIDAY: we celebrated Joshua's birthday by taking his 2 buddies, my husband, Tony and Ashley...out to play mini-golf. It was a fun, but HOT ...time. I bought water for everyone all around.

After that, we went to Chinese Buffet for Josh's birthday dinner. One friend cried, telling me he doesn't like Chinese food. I told him "I am sorry (but honestly I really wasn't that sorry), but if the birthday boy wants Chinese, we will have Chinese. Come on inside and see what they have, ok?" So we all piled into the restaurant, placed our drink orders and went up to the buffet. Josh's other friend's eyes were wide open and he pretty much wanted to try everything, even crab ragoon (but said no thanks to frog legs...). I was impressed. The friend who didn't like Chinese food found chicken fingers so that's pretty much all he ate. That made him happy.

We went back home and let the boys play, watch movies, whatever they wanted. They conked out around 11 or so, I think.

Honey, what time did they go to bed? I was just too tired.

SATURDAY...what did I do on Saturday? I did not feed the boys breakfast, but their moms came just in time to pick them up. The friend, whom I shall call "Idonotlikechinesefood!" ---his mom and I are close friends. Well, when I decided to treat Tony, Joshua and myself to breakfast, Tony saw "Idonotlikechinesefood!" and his mom sitting at one of the booths. (Thanks, Honey! Good eye!) SO we pretty much "gate-crashed" their table. We joined them and the mom and I chatted away. Josh and "Idonotlikechinesefood!" pretty much roughed around but enjoyed their brunch, and Tony pretty much focused on his breakfast. Was it good, honey?

We said our "see you laters" and "call you laters" and off Tony, Josh and I went to Pamida's. We bought Joshua's gift...a new PS2. WOW! (I'm now realizing I need to get a memory card for him...). My body was screaming for a nap, but alas, my time was pretty much full of stuff to do!

Later in the afternoon, Tony and I dropped Joshua off at Grandma's and then we headed to a post-wedding reception. That was very lovely. I saw many of my deaf friends from years past...but it is funny to watch Tony try to introduce me as his wife, not knowing they already know me (and yes, Tony did see me say hi and hug all of 'em in a "long-time-no-see" manner)....

The reception was very lovely. I did try to dance the hustle, but noticed my hips, knees and my feet were not cooperating. And I'm almost 40. Huh.

Tony and I left later, and headed home. I was up late late late that night online with a friend who had a heavy burden. So we talked and I pretty much listened. We both realized it was late, so I closed our IM with a prayer I thought would be short, but it was actually long. Thank you, Lord. I know we both needed that prayer. And yes the prayer was answered.

SUNDAY...okay, in the morning, before we went to church, Tony checked his emails. Well, he got an email from his boss saying, sorry, we've not been making money...we would need to lay off & suspend your job. And closed with an apology. I was glad Tony didn't get all despondent or anything. We try to look at it in a positive way. A friend, John, shared that when a door closes, a window opens. Thank you, John.

We went to our church as usual. Pastor Paul shared his experiences in Africa the past couple weeks---it was a big culture shock for him, but he has come to appreciate the opportunity to go on this mission trip with another man. He delivered a wonderful sermon. Check it out on www.peopleplace.org. Tony taught Sunday School, and then we took off for Flint. We went to Cornerstone Deaf Church...and had a wonderful time. Like Brenda posted in her blog today, it was just wonderful. I know Brenda has some shoes to fill but I am excited for her. John, whom I mentioned earlier, is her husband, in case I didn't say that earlier.

We ended up going out to eat after the evening service and got home pretty late. Oh yeah, a longtime member of another deaf church came up to me, and was happy to see me. She said, "wow! you look better as a woman!" HUH???? When was I ever a man before? I checked, nothing new about it. She caught her mistake and we laughed, then she complimented me on my short 'do. Oh yeah, she didn't see me get it chopped off at Deaf Cafe back in May. Yea, yea, I'll post a before/after picture ... eventually. Forgive me.

I was so doggone tired, I went to bed around 11 pm. I crashed and burned and I haven't moved once all night long. But first I was online with a friend who had burdens and I listened while the friend unloaded.

Right now, I'm babysitting "Idonotlikechinesefood!" until 9 pm. His mom will be home at that time, and prayerfully (please pray for me!), I'll be able to share some spiritual things with her. It is very hard being a newly single mom after a rough divorce and being a mom to a child that has some emotional scars. But as I look at "Idonotlikechinesefood!" I see a strong boy who is well mannered and very kind with me. He is very sweet with me.

I took him to McD's to pick up a happy meal for him. He asked me how I could hear the intercom. I told him I have a hearing aid that lets me hear. If I can't understand anything they say, I hear them say something then I merely say, I can't hear very good so I'll be pulling up to place my order...and it always work! ""Idonotlikechinesefood!" was very impressed.

I have been feeling the Lord guiding me and directing me as I have found myself being a listener to a few women the past week with their burdens. Some were dealing with a difficult divorce and learning to be a single mom. Some feeling disconnected. Some with just everyday things. Anything. But as I listened to each of them, I have perhaps experienced something like that or just like that. I may have not been married before --- but the break up was as hard as a divorce because of having to LEAVE the house with almost nothing on my back and getting out of a bad situation. I truly felt God has given me a calling. I have been feeling the sense of peace and God's hand on my shoulder each time...and every time, I and those who have talked with me have come away feeling at peace or ... blessed.

Okay, more blessings:

Remember I shared that John said: When a door closes, a window opens?
I got an urgent phone call from my dad. There was a phone call for Tony!
So I IM'd Tony ... it went something like this:

"Remember what John said about a door closing and a window opening?"
"yeah, the door's been closed and the window is slowing cracking open"
"Well, the window's been flung wide open! Look out the window"
"Huh?"
"GM called and wants to set up an interview appt with you!" and I gave him the number, etc. So see, God is at work! And I warned him---PRAY before you call!!!!

Now... they need PROOF or documentation of Tony's deafness. So he has a caseworker from MichWorks! He also need to have his caseworker write WHY Tony needs an interpreter. And, thirdly, he himself need to write a letter WHY he needs an interpreter.

My imagination runs wild sometimes. I gave Tony a suggestion what his version should say explaining his need for an ASL interpreter:

Dear Sir/Madame, I cannot hear voices. I cannot read lips. I can hear sign language. I can read sign language. Therefore, I need an ASL interpreter.

So hey, he's pretty much 3/4th out the window....

And I survived the weekend. Survivor: Michigan. Did I win the game? Hey, where's my million dollars?

*UPDATE: "Idonotlikechinesefood!" went to Chinese buffet again, with his mom this time, and declared, "I love it here!" So now he shall be called, "Ilovechinesefoodnow!"

No comments: