Thursday, June 19, 2008

TJ and Car Races


This is my friend, TJ. He is a special needs friend. He is deaf and a member of my church. With his mother's permission, I am sharing with you about his exciting day at the car races over Father's Day weekend.

This was NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series on Saturday June 14th. TJ waved the starting flag. Oh he was so excited and I'm sure some of my die-hard fans of the Nascar races must be jealous at the opportunity to be more up close than just behind the fences. TJ would share with anyone that he was going to be at the races, and being a grand marshal. Oh what a honor!!! I know his parents must be so proud! I even bragged to my own friends who knew him!

Bill Hattan, a double amputee, and owner of Cool Customs City, was participating in this event at the races. From what I gathered from the mother, they wanted to invite a child who has a similar experience of being an amputee. Bill Hattan lost his legs in an accident. He was a road construction worker working with another woman putting up flasher barrels when a driver was speeding at 80 mph, running into Bill and his coworker. Well, the coworker was killed instantly. Bill himself was in a coma for a few weeks, and they had to amputate his legs. Instead of letting this become a burden, he worked on finding something positive about his experiences.

TJ himself was born with many problems. But, God has blessed his mother and TJ in many ways. He does have one leg amputated below the knee but that does not stop this bundle of energy from doing what he loves the most. Being around any people, growing into a typical boy, having a wonderful set of parents and a brand new baby sister. His involvement with us at church has touched many people's lives. I don't think anyone has not met him and walk away untouched by his friendliness, his compassion for others. No matter who you are, he will make friends with you.


With his opportunity to be at the races, I have yet to hear from him personally ...but his proud mama sent me some pictures. Here is another one of him with the crew.






And...like I said...

he is very compassionate and very loving.

I close this with a hug ...TJ hugging his friend, Bill Hattan.

No comments: