Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Camping 101

The camping weekend was really nice. It was truly enjoyable to kick back and enjoy.

Friday I showed up early, and set up my "house on poles"...and before I raised the tent, I quickly sprayed the water sealant on the seams. Praying it works and knowing we'd have rain, keep the rain out! Raised the tent, and it became a house. WOW! Inflated 3 air mattresses and set up house. It was actually very nice.

The two "Enda's" showed up and I showed them how to set up their tent and how to inflate air mattresses. It was truly a camping 101 experience for them! Good job, girls!

Ashley set up with some help from others the canopy shade tent. She did really well this time.

Joshua had brought his friend, "Milk" and they spent a lot of time water playing. Water guns, or just splashing around in puddles they've created, and of course, "Milk" helped with some of the setting up camp.

I don't think the boys had their shoes on at all.

Saturday we waited for a couple friends to show up with our breakfast. It was funny because we were sitting there watching for them. If a car or truck drove by, nope, it wasn't them. We even debated going to McDonald's if nobody showed up by 10! Sure enough they showed up and we had a feast.

Camping food is always the best. Fresh off the grill (or gas stove, depends...) and just so delish! The skies opened and the rain came down.

We did combine 2 canopies together and my huge oversized tarp over both of them, and made a perfect safe place to stay dry. Oh yes. And we fellowshipped and ate and joked and just had a very nice, relaxing time.

Oh yeah, Josh and "Milk" spent a lot of time in the rain, playing water war games...and still no shoes. If heavy downpour, they'd go inside the "house" and play video games.

TJ would on occasion join them or us. He is pretty much a quiet boy but very involved. He had a lot of fun with us.

The skies stopped long enough for me to start up the campfire and cook my yummy teriyaki beef strips and bake the potatoes in the fire...it was very delish! I know everyone enjoyed it. And finally we had some time for Smores. It was also very good. The boys would make it for us. Yum. I think "Milk" forgot the chocolate a couple times.

Then it rained again.

Sunday, the sun came out. I was so happy it came out because it helped dry out our tents. My "house" held up in the rain! No leaks! OH PTL! I was so worried but I know that spray can saved my life! LOL.

We listened to God's Word on the "Final Score" ---my husband did a great job. My friend and "Ilovechinesefood!" showed up and were able to hear the sermon. I know my friend enjoyed it.

Well, my gang and I got home and we probably took out half of the camping gear OUT and upstairs. The other half...I'm going to wait until after the AC/Heat guy comes and work on the heat wiring before I can safely put away my camping gear in a safe way on the back staircase.

I look back and I have to say, I really, truly enjoyed the weekend.

Yesterday, I attended a funeral and I went there merely to lend my support to my good friends there. I also went there to pay respect as well. I don't think I would have much to say at this time but there were moments I am thinking about my daughter and my mother (both died from different types of cancer, 7 years apart) when I listen to the music or sermon or hearing the verses that have been shared.

Other times, when I start to think about people who failed or succeeded with suicide. Then question...WHY?? In a way it does hit close to home for me...having to see someone I loved try to kill himself and nearly succeeding in that.

I do want to say my friends, John, Brenda, Bert and Vonnie, held up very well during the funeral. They were hurting so bad over losing their pastor and friend. My heart goes out to them, and I continue to lift them in prayers. Brenda did admit she didn't know the pastor very well, but I know she's hurting because her husband John is hurting.

My body and my mind is tired. Happy from having a great time at our annual deaf cafe camping, and heavy with burden for the tragedy that occurred last week and being there to support my friends.

I'm tired. Physically and mentally.

No comments: