Wednesday, July 9, 2008

This and that...

The temps have been in the low 80's and the evenings maybe high 60's. Last night was really humid but I expected that. I am waiting to hear from the landlord if he has installed the central ac or not. I sort of drove around the building to see where he might have put the pad for it...and I don't see it.

As I cut through a neighbor's yard (gasp!)...my steering wheel froze. So I had to turn off the engine and restart it. Then it was fine. That was a weird moment. I think God was punishing me for going through someone's yard to get to the alley drive. Oh well. Sorry, Lord.

I could share something really scary that happened at work yesterday. I work on the second floor of the library, and there are computers in a circular corral (I believe 8). Well, sometime in the morning a student worker was pulling books from the shelves, looked over and saw this man viewing inappropriate sites online. So he reported it. And our campus police came and took him away. He was arrested for trespassing, among other things. The police also confiscated the computer to do some investigating as it is a very serious crime to peek into sites that involves children. My heart broke as I know it's still an ongoing problem out there. It's good, though, that we recognized this man as a trespasser from years ago, and we had to show him off campus, citing him for trespassing and not to return. Since we recognized him, we were able to quickly take care of this problem. I do have to admit I'm very glad the police took quick action.

This morning, as I walked into work with another worker, we both commented how shocking it was, and how this man dared to think he could get away with trespassing, let alone use the computers! And how did he think he could get away with it, knowing there is absolutely no privacy as it's pretty much an open area and everyone can see everyone.

One thing I need to point out about our computers---you need to be a registered student or if you're an employee of this university, you need to have your own account and password. All computers can't be signed in w/o having an account with the university. How this man managed to get into the computer w/o an account, we have no idea. One speculation was a patron forgot to log out. That, my friends, is not good.

I wish it was Friday already. It's gonna be a long week.

No comments: