Thursday, May 15, 2008

Peer Pressure

Do any of you remember peer pressure in middle school, let alone high school?

My daughter is 12, and definitely a teenager already. She came to me last night with concerns. Some kids were making fun of how she dresses. Then her friends would make a side comment about their comments.

She asked me how would I have handled that?

So I had to think a bit, and said, "Well, why don't you come back with saying, Oh you're just jealous you can't pull this off..."

My daughter does not dress gothic-like, does not wear clothes that would make you cringe or wonder, or get Bill Cosby to yell, "Pull up those pants!". She wears simple outfits, such as jeans and t-shirts. She does not wear anything that would bare her belly or reveal any skin---which she knows is wrong and very demeaning. She keeps herself very simple.

She has 2 very close friends in our town. Sorry girls, but you two really have no place to be talking like that when you should take a good look at yourselves. Before you join the crowd who teases and taunts, stop and think, if it was me they were talking about...would I like that? I know you two would say, No.

I can't imagine the disciples and Jesus behaving this way. I mean try this idea: one of the disciples telling Peter he stinks because he was a fisherman.

In my early high school days, I dressed like a preppie. Yeah, those izod or polo shirts, with Levis 501 (???) that had the button fly, and penny loafers. Wore my collar up, and I was one of the preppies. Right now, I shake my head at the memory.

I still love Levis, but I don't wear polos or izods anymore. Thank goodness. And penny loafers are pretty extinct...in my opinion. I'm happy with my sandals, as long as I'm sock-free.

Don't give in to peer pressure.

To my daughter---keep your chin up. You're a tough girl, and I'm very proud of you for not stooping to these people's level. Remind your friends who they are, and what you three mean to each other.

No comments: