Friday, May 23, 2008

Memorial Day

Y'all ready for Memorial Day weekend?

I've decided I'm going to my daughter's grave during my lunch break. It's been a very long time since I've visited her grave.

My friends are in VA right now, helping clean up the house and outside, and I'm sure of yard sale this weekend too. I know they're having fun...and wishing I could be there. But I have obligations here with my family...and my job.

I have relatives who served in the military. In fact, my grandpa John fought in WWII and the Korea War. He had been shot 7 times...but he kept going back to the "front". He was in the Navy, and worked the guns on the battle ships. I can't imagine what that'd be like. With ear protection, it still blasted his ear drums. He had become hard of hearing because of that.

It's been years for him, but he still has nightmares. Wow...my grandma shared with me how sometimes he'd start having his nightmares and she'd try to comfort him. I have tried to imagine what it'd be like to live with someone who was in the military. He has been retired for many years...and enjoying every minute of it. He currently lives in Arizona with my grandmother.

Every time I go to a Memorial Day Parade or perhaps the 4th of July Parade, they always have the veterans up front to lead, and that always, always touches my heart. I try not to cry but sometimes my tears are stronger. I have great respect for those who have fought for our freedom.

Grandpa...thank you.

No comments: