Wednesday, April 1, 2009

How to Flash?

Okay, really, I'm not really teaching anyone something...um....*eyes shifting* ...naughty.

But really, today was so WINDY! whooosh! wheee!

I stopped at CVS in Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area (kind of like the borderline between those 2 cities...to pick up a chair on sale for my husband.

As I was struggling to push the shopping cart with the big box in front of me...a whirlydevil of a whirlwind? tornado? mini-tornado? Ummmm...whatever.

It whoosed! up my blouse and caused my shirt to lift up midway. Woo! Really, I didn't "flash" anything but my belly button....(thank goodness!).

Thankfully nobody was around to see that. I was behind the box behind the cart and pushing towards my car....and I'm not sure if anyone in the busy street saw me---they're probably struggling to stay straight driving in the wind!

So...if you don't want to have an embarrassing moment like I had this afternoon, make sure your clothes are tucked in safely in windy conditions like this. Yeah.

On another note, someone left a comment on yesterday's posting about me being inspired by Team Hoyt. And my own personal thoughts about people with disabilities.

I have been exposed to everyone with all types of disabilities and never gave it another thought. Once at work, the department I worked for was very vocal about having this man with cerebal palsy work with us. "We don't want to be babysitting him when he needs something...." whine, whine whine. I just stood up and left that meeting. I was just sick of them.

Finally one co-worker realized that what they were saying in the meeting room was not just targeting that poor man, but targeting me as well.

They all swallowed some humble pie after that....they all fell in love with that man.

Anyway, also, to respond to the comment, about her mother's blindness...I know how that is. When my mother was blinded by her brain tumor, I really did not have any issues about that. However, my mom had a great sense of humor. Her dad, my Grandpa John, is practically deaf and refused to wear a hearing aid. There's me, who's partly deaf. Then my mom, blinded by her cancer. "So there's 2 deaf and one blind...."

I did have ONE issue when prior to my mother's passing, I put in a request to take some time off to spend time with my mom for her remaining days....the person I made request with didn't think I really needed to do that. But I told this person...."I don't care what you believe in, but I am going to take the time off to be with my mother..." and it was the best decision I made.

Another example can be with someone who is totally different from you---I was standing next to someone in line at this cute little cafe inside my library and this woman was wearing her burka and she ordered some fancy coffee....I was looking at her from the corner of my eye...wondering..."how the heck is she gonna drink that? Does she lift that thing...exposing her mouth? Or take a straw and slide it under that flap? I can only see her eyes and her fingers!" I didn't stick around to find out...(should I have done that?)....

Anyway......well...I guess my mind is jumping all over the place today---and getting my belly cooled off with the WIND today.

3 comments:

Growing Up Deaf in a Hearing World said...

Hi there... you are absolutely right when you mention BFF also is very defensive of those with disabilities. She amazes me sometimes and I'm so proud!

Does that mean we did something "right" with raising our daughters/sons?

Anonymous said...

Gee, the person didn't think you needed to have time off to spend with your Mother when she was dying.....Great. I worked for years in healthcare and even working Oncology I was amazed at the amount of notes, and JUSTIFICATION we had to provide when a family member needed time off. Sometimes even the patient, the one receiving the chemo, would need extra notes or explanations for their employer. It was very sad to me, with many you could see how sick they were..~Mary

Kirstan said...

It's really sad the person wasn't very understanding because this person's mother is (still to this day) in her late 80's and this person complains about every appt has to make for mom, etc....and doesn't understand or value the relationship between the mother and child.

It is even worse because this person KNEW how hard it was for me to lose my first daughter to cancer all those years ago...so this person knew better to say things like that...

Eventually, it'll slap this person hard in the face when the day comes and happens to this person---