Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Look who followed me home???

After "Traitor" (van) went to the car hospital, I just about had given up on figuring out how I'd get to work on Tuesday.

I took a long leisurely bath ...only to keep falling asleep so I got out, and crawled into MY bed...ah yes, my lovely bed. And the house phone with me....

Floated off to dreamland (I have no idea if I had dreams...) then when I woke up, I realized the mechanic won't call me until Tuesday...he did tell me it'd be ready for me on Tuesday.

So I tumbled out of my bed and walked towards my computer.

My friend Kim had contacted me about talking with a dealer at the dealership up the road (3 miles I'd say) from us. She came by and grabbed me and Josh. Off we went.

*big grin here*...

I climbed in this car, I drove around and it was juuuuuuuust right!

Ah yes...hm...yes I'll pay cash. But I gotta run to the bank and get it.

Kim told me she'd be happy to drive me around. "Wow, really???"

She rocks!

So we told them to hold it and we'll be riiiiiiiiiiiiiight back!

We grabbed her son from daycare, then drove out to Milan to my bank, and boy, it took me a while to figure out how to write out the amount....wow...that's the biggest ...uh, check...I've ever had to write. Cashier's check and then I jumped back into Kim's car.

Off we went hurtling towards the dealership.

TA-DA!! I presented the guy my check and was pretty much, "gimme, gimme my keys" but patiently waited. Got the registration set. Called the insurance, readjusted my plans---liability on van only but full coverage on my car. Thankyouverymuch.

Then sat with the Business Manager. He was really cool. Made a typo on my name and started again. No problem.

Cracked jokes, and told me horror stories about his daughter being uh...(gotta clean up his quote a bit to appropriate words)---"heck on wheels" (he did mouth the "h" word when the boys weren't looking).

"She called me the other day, 'Dad....I got a flat tire...'... 'What do you mean you got a flat tire?'...'I don't know Dad....can you come out and help?'"

Turns out while she was driving, she was changing cds in her cd player, talking on her cell phone, and went into 2 ditches, up a culvert and ran over something, kept going until she noticed something wasn't right.

The tire was beyond flat, and the rim too.

I asked, "How old is she?"

She's 24. Eeeee.....

Anyway, all done, and we step outside. I suddenly realized, I can't remember what it looks like! Where is it?

The dealer laughed and pointed it out to me. He had warmed it up for me. It was detailed, it was full of gas, and just had its oil changed. Awww.

The boys climbed in the back and Kim followed me to Burger King (to thank her for all that driving around, etc).

Heee. *big sigh with silly goofy grin on my face*

Everyone, meet Betty:

Betty, meet my readers...

Ain't she a beaut?? She's a 2005 Ford Focus and pretty much loaded. Very comfortable! Great with mileage!

I do have to thank my grandmother who made it possible. My grandpa had called her Betty, even though her real name was Mary. So in her memory, I thought it'd be fitting to call the car, Betty. However, if you hear my son call her Smoky, just smile and nod.

Alright, it gets little funnier here....

I show up to work Tuesday morning. I see there is a message on my voice mail. I punch in my code and I hear the mechanic telling me the van's ready.

When did he call me? Monday afternoon around 3:15 pm. Called. My. Work. Not my home.
Did not call me at home.

*sigh*

When he originally told me the van'd be ready sometime on TUESDAY, I told him to give me a call at work so I can contact my husband to get it, etc., and gave him my number.

Duh.

Oh well. But hey everyone, I'm glad I got it. I love it. I've finally learned how to feed it 6 cds w/o it spitting it back out at me.

I learned where the control is for the rear window wiper.

I FINALLY figured out how to raise the bass level on the cd player.

And I finally got to use the "open the trunk" button to put something in my trunk.

Hee.

And I still have plenty of gas left!

3 comments:

Growing Up Deaf in a Hearing World said...

YEAH Kirstan. An answer to our prayers! Looks like an absolutely great car! I know we'll see "betty" up here in Flint soon. You be careful with changing those 6 CDs while driving!!

Hugs, Brenda

Kirstan said...

LOL. Actually, it's a 6-cd changer thingy---related to MP3 or something or other. Maybe our daughters can explain it more clearly BUT...I don't need to take out a cd and put another one in. I've already got 6 cd's in there and can play anything I want. Really cool. Yeah. Ahh....

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Betty! I told you she would find you! Well and of course you finding her! Enjoy!
Amy