Monday, August 4, 2008

What I did last weekend...

THURSDAY:
  • I brought the whole gang to work with me. Worked half a day. Went to bank, paid a bill, picked up lunch (2 wanted Quiznos, 2 wanted McD's), and gassed up the van, which I think was watered down a little...those cheaters....
  • Arrived in Flint about 2 pm to drop off BFF. Brenda's driveway was full of yardsale stuff! My sister met up with us there to take my kids home with her for the weekend. I poked around the yard sale a bit and collected pots which would turn out to be very handy for camping.
  • Went to Kroger's to get some food. Yum. The food bill was a teeny bit too high for me, but it was worth it. I think.
  • Took off...and arrived at the campground and was given a rustic site! Um...oh ok. But see, I didn't reserve beforehand, and they did hold a site for me until we showed up. So I have to take whatever they give us. So that meant no electricity for us. That's fine. We'll make do. It took Tony and I a while to figure out how to set up our site. It's very rustic. Oh yeah. And found out we can move the fire pit! So that was a good thing.
  • Dragged 50 feet long electric cord from a modern site through the trees and bushes behind our site...and blew up our air mattresses. Thank goodness I had that in my van!
  • Went to Port Sanilac for dinner. Came back and it was too dark and the grounds were damp so we didn't do campfire. Went to bed instead. That must've been around 10 pm.
FRIDAY:
  • Made yummy blueberry pancakes for breakfast. We had borrowed my sister's camp stove so that was nice to have. After that, we did dishes (had to sneak to the modern site and use their water faucet) and ... relaxed a bit.
  • Ate lunch (deli) and then put on our swimsuits, loaded up our chairs and towels and hit the beach. Port Huron is gorgeous! We had to kind of poke around a bit along the beach until we could find a un-rocky area to wade in and go swimming. I feel bad I'm not young anymore and can just dive in and swim like a child. Oh well. But it was very enjoyable and just gorgeous! Sat on the beach and just relaxed, and read our books.
  • Headed back to our site and started dinner that consisted of flat-iron steak and baked sweet potatoes and grilled corn on the cob. Oooo la la. Oh yeah, I even cooked onions, green, orange and red peppers. Yum. Cleaned up then started a campfire. Chatted and read our books, until I turned in for the night.
  • We had a severe thunder/lightning storm all night long! Our canopy tent had crashed and fell down. I had to go out there and move it away from the road...and had to undo some of the poles so could pull the top directly over the picnic table. I would deal with the rest of the poles in the morning. It really felt like inside my tent paparazzi going off in there, the constant lighting up! I at one point shouted to God, "Hey, who's in trouble???" but that was more for my humor.
SATURDAY:
  • Since I didn't sleep too good, I got up early, and went out to check out God's wrath my canopy had to endure. Two corner brackets were broken. So I figured duct tape might fix those two OR...just replace those two brackets. Not a big loss. Reset the poles and raised it back up. Secured it once more again. Prayed a little and made some breakfast---sweet italian sausage I had to open up and cook on gas stove, with eggs, cheese and bagels. It made for very yummy breakfast sandwiches.
  • I took a short nap after lack of sleep during the storm. Tony had gone for a walk when I felt the canopy crash again. So I woke up and went out...decided we'd take it apart. So we did. Tony came back in time to help me take them apart and pack it up. At least our site was very shady so we didn't lack in shade. We ate lunch and then headed to the beach. Spent all afternoon there, and the water was wavy, so it was very pretty. Did not swim but did wade a little.
  • Read our books, drank our pop and chatted...or dozed off. Beautiful place.
  • Decided we didn't want to cook dinner so we went to the restaurant. Ordered something nice, but I felt my dinner was too rich in sauce. Went back to the campsite and we built a fire...and made smores. Chatted more and read our books. I had finished 3 books over the 3 day period.
SUNDAY:
  • Got up late...I ate deli sandwiches while Tony had cereal. We took down everything and loaded the van up. Because the modern site I was "borrowing" electric from was full, I felt it was rude to go over and sneak some electricity to deflate my mattress, I just did the best I could and threw it in back seat. Will deflate it completely at my sister's house.
  • After clearing the site, we stopped at the showers and I took my final shower there. Felt so good! Waved goodbye to the lake and off we went.
  • Arrived at my sister's and pretty much crashed ... it was tiring! I nearly fell asleep on her floor. Ate lunch with them and played Uno with them. It was fun.
  • We left around 4 and arrived home about 6 pm.
The Lake was just gorgeous. I would say it's my second favorite. Lake Superior would be my first favorite of all. The nature, the way the beach was set up and the friendliness of others...and Tony learning patience during the whole weekend (if he started to get frustrated or think about complaining, he'd stop and then give me a goofy silly smile...and try again...). Learned how to make campfire. Learned how to make smores too! Yum.

My whole weekend, I felt very close with God and with my husband. It was a much needed time together, and with God too. I have NO complaints. What is the point of complaining? So we just look at it in different ways and find something good out of the whole thing.

Would I do it again---rustic camping? Yes... but will try to aim closer for the restroom (that...was like what, a half mile away hike for me???Pffft) and ... closer to an electric outlet---OR...water source. Amazingly, I wasn't even that dirty. Only my feet would get little muddied or sand on it, but it was nothing I couldn't clean off with a towel or wipe on rug.

That, my dear friends, was my adventure over the weekend. Camping is a very enjoyable time, and total relaxation. Made friends with my neighbors...the kids next to us were in awe, I think, to see two people communicating in ASL. LOL.

1 comment:

Growing Up Deaf in a Hearing World said...

Glad your 3rd anniversary together was a good one and memorable...Those lighting flashes were from God taking pictures of you two and proclaiming to the world... these two I put together three years ago!

All the best and many more happy years together!