Thursday, October 2, 2008

Who ate all the food?

Well, I made this awesome recipe for dinner. My family LOVES it. I only had ONE serving. One helping.

After another successful Deaf Cafe meeting on the VideoPhone, I went into the kitchen to put away leftovers, etc.

Where's the dish?

I checked the oven.

I checked the fridge.

Then I peek into the sink, and hiding under a huge cutting board is an empty dish.

I checked the fridge to see if someone put away leftovers in those disposable gladware.

Nope.

Grrr. WHO ATE ALL THE FOOD????

I slaved over that for 15 minutes and it cooked for 40 minutes, and I got ONE serving. The boys had 2 helpings and Ashley got a little bit for herself.

This is supposed to be 8-10 servings!

PIGS! I stomped over to the boys (that's my husband and my son)...next time you want more, ASK THE COOK FIRST!

I did expect it to go fast, and I did expect to have another helping. Who would have thought the boys would be such pigs?

OINK!

Anyway, I do know it's one of their favorites and here's the recipe:

Quick Chicken Tortilla Bake

prep time: 15 min. Bake:45 minutes

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken soup
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
12 6 or 7 inch corn tortillas (I like flour best), cut into thin bite size strips
3 cups cubed cooked chicken (I usually just boil or crockpot a couple big chicken breasts)
1 cup shredded cheese with mexican-style seasoning (4 oz)

1. In a medium bowl combine soup and undrained tomatoes. Set aside. Sprinkle one-third of the tortilla strips over the bottom of an ungreased 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Layer half of the chicken over tortilla strips; spoon half of the soup mixture on top. Repeat layers. Top with remaining tortilla strips.

2. Bake, covered, for about 40 minutes or until bubbly around edges and center is hot. Uncover and sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

Makes 8 servings.

Well, I usually shred the chicken and mix it with the soup mixture. That way it cuts down on my time. I shred instead of cut up. It still tastes good. You can add sour cream on top when you want a little something or add more salsa for more spice. My family really adores this.

YUM. This is from my favorite cookbook, Better Homes and Garden's 500 Five Ingredient Recipes.

That cookbook was given to me as a wedding gift...

Well, there goes my "leftover lunch" for tomorrow. Darn.

Maybe I'll grill some tuna 'wiches. Hm....

No comments: