Friday, June 19, 2009

The Mighty Ottawa River...and Lake...

I live on Ottawa Street.

When there's a party upstairs (heaven) of some sort, with lots of paparazzi (lightning) going on and spilling their water (rain) while bowling (thunder)....it's a big party up there.

This morning...I stepped outside and saw that my shoes would probably be pulled off my feet in the raging Ottawa river. So seeing Betty (my car, in case you didn't know that) nearly drowning, I quickly pulled my shoes off, and waded into the river. Got into Betty very quickly...the water was up to my ankles. Got her out quickly....then I look over to Van. Uh-oh...he's drowing in the Ottawa Lake.

So I encouraged Betty to take me over there across the mighty river....
and she waited at the edge of the lake...
while I waded into the lake....
and quickly moved Van out to higher ground....
Patted his side...and told him he'll be fine now.

The water was halfway up my calves. Thank goodness for capris!

Ran to an ATM for grocery money and ran over to Sister #5 ...she volunteered to shop for my groceries (thanks, sis!). As I sprinted across her freshly mowed front yard, she saw that I had no shoes on.

She looked down at my feet, I looked down and wiggled my toes. Boo (niece) came out and gave me a hug. And giggled when she saw I had no shoes.

*I really love being barefeet. I detest socks and shoes....*

Jedi (nephew) came out and stared at my feet as I told Sister #5 how I had to rescue Van from drowning in Lake Ottawa.

I jump back into Betty and off we went....to work.

I did kind of expected to see people start rafting down my street, aka Ottawa River. Or go fishing in the lake, which is the town's free parking lot where we park Van....

We're due for more rain tonight/tomorrow. If it keeps up, I'll probably have to convert Betty and Van into rafts....thank goodness we live on the 2nd floor of this sturdy building.

Yeah.

No comments: