Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Layoffs....and determination...

Layoffs...

Borders made the news of laying off 275 people in the corporate areas. And Barnes & Nobles is "thinking" about buying out Borders.

Well, my sister works for Borders headquarters here in Ann Arbor, Michigan. She shared with me Sunday about the possibility of being let go on Tuesday (today). Well, the day has come, and we all held our breaths, waiting....and praying.

She finally wrote us an email saying she is still employed...but there are changes made in her benefits, and her hours may be cut...but would be in a meeting this afternoon about it. So far I've not heard what changes she has to make now. She also had to say goodbye to many of her friends she's made over the years---most of them were let go.

I also got another different email today from Alabama. This friend found out he is being let go at the end of this month. But knowing him, he should have no problems getting another job or accepting assignments as an interpreter. I do understand how he feels about losing the job that comes with the benefits.

The economy in Michigan is pretty bad. I've been very blessed to have worked for Eastern Michigan University for nearly 20 years. They also have budget cuts to deal with, and have also let many people go. The problem is not knowing who's next. Will my position be cut? Or changed? Or will I be moved elsewhere? Who knows.

Determination...

I work in the Library and when I go out to the stacks to do some inventory (sort of like counting books...and checking if we have them online or not...), I always pass this one study room. I see the same young woman in there. She would be pacing around studying her study cards, or she might be sitting at the table, working away on her laptop or writing down notes, or studying her books. I have noticed she is there most of the day...I do not know when her classes are, but it seems to me on a daily basis, I see her in that room studying away. So much determination. I admire that.

That makes me think---my determination to serve the Lord in different ways, in areas He wants me to serve in. My determination to give Him all my best...and more if possible.

Life might throw surprises at you. But God is always in control.

I was glad to hear my sister say in her email, she's made peace with whatever the outcome would be regarding her job. Now that the suspense passed, and knowing where she stands, she still knows it can be any day she will be let go. She's determined to not let it drag her into the pits...

No comments: