Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Future Opa's Band!

Yesterday, I picked up Josh from my dad's house. Josh left school early because he wasn't feeling good. So Opa picked him up from school.

And my niece, Boo, was there...or did she come over to visit Opa? (I never really quite caught how she ended up there...)

Opa: Josh took out his recorder to show me some songs he is playing...
Me: Oh, cool!
Opa: So, I sat at my piano, and played along with Josh...and gave something to be used as a drum for Boo to bang on....
Me: *grinning widely*
Opa: So we became our own band....
Me: Opa's Band!

Much later...we met up again at my daughter's Winter Band Concert. The kids did great, we commented on how much grown up some of the kids were becoming, etc., etc.

As we waited in the lobby afterwards for Ashley to meet up with us, I commented to Opa about Ashley's wish...

Me: Ashley wants a drum set for Christmas....
Opa: Why? Where would you put it...???
Me: Well, we could rearrange her room and make room....
Opa: You are crazy to think that...it'd be just too loud, especially for your neighbors...
So I think a bit...
Me: Hey! I know!  We'll use your garage! You can drag your piano out, give Boo the tools to play as drum(s), Josh on his recorder and Ashley on the drumset. Hannah (another niece) with whatever she plays, and all your grandkids can gather with you...playing something. It shall become, Opa's Band!
Opa: *rolls eyes at me, scoffing*
Me: Oh, c'mon! That'd be so awesome and you'd all be famous!  Yeah, Opa's garage band or something...that would be really something there....all the kids would just love it!

He just chuckled.

Ah...I know Ashley wants a drum set, but not sure if that would be possible, but she can continue to dream. One suggestion I have for her is just use the school's drums.

No comments: