Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve 2009

Happy Christmas Eve!

This morning I worked in the kitchen without my glasses or my hearing aid. I kind of like that, sometimes. Early enough but not too early...to get started on marinade sauce for the bacon-wrapped chestnuts (YUM!)...to bake later on.

The pie is bakin' away right now.  I attempted to put the top shell on (one of those ready made ones you buy at the store) and it...crumbled apart on me. How dare you!  So, I threw that away, and quickly googled on crumb topping for pies. Oh, Google saved the day!

Looking back over the year of 2009, I have to say, whoa. Where did the time go?  It flew by so fast.  Didn't I just blog about Halloween?  No? Oh.

Anyway....this afternoon, the big family will gather at my sister's house here in Tecumseh. It will be a fun-filled afternoon.  I'm responsible for appetizers and desserts. So, I've pretty much checked off my list.  Only two is half-checked off.  When the pie's done, then a full check.  The bacon-wrapped chestnuts will be checked off later this afternoon.

I watched The Nativity Story movie (it came out a few years ago) and while they were pretty much 95.5% biblically accurate, it was fun to watch where Mary and Joseph had been traveling, and during one of their stops, they talked about what it'd be like to raise the baby.  Joseph's comment, "I wonder if He'll learn anything I teach Him?" really set me back a bit.  Trying to imagine knowing the fact you will be responsible for raising the Child of God...it just was so beyond ..I mean, mind-blowing.


Sure he must have been surprised
At where this road had taken him
'Cause never in a million lives
Would he had dreamed of Bethlehem
And standing at the manger
He saw with his own eyes
The message from the angel come to life
And Joseph said...

(CHORUS)
Why me, I'm just a simple man of trade
Why Him, with all the rulers in the world
Why here inside this stable filled with hay
Why her, she's just an ordinary girl
Now I'm not one to second guess what angels have to say
But this is such a strange way to save the world

To think of how it could have been
If Jesus had come as He deserved
There would have been no Bethlehem
No lowly shepherds at His birth
But Joseph knew the reason
Love had to reach so far
And as he held the Savior in his arms
He must have thought...

(CHORUS)

Now I'm not one to second guess what angels have to say
But this is such a strange way to save the world
...this is such a strange way to save the world...Saving the World

No comments: