Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ready or not....

I'm quite excited about a much needed get-away next weekend. My family and I are escaping to go on our annual Memorial Day camping trip.

Not too far, not too close. Just right....in the thumb area of Michigan---overlooking the lake. It'll be so cool.

And the weather is supposed to be in low 70's so that ain't bad. I do have warm sleeping bags, so no worries there.

That means, I need to dig out all my camping gear, do an inventory of what's what...and decide which of the 2 big tents we want to use.

Then there comes making up a grocery list---I will basically be the chef for the whole weekend. My friend will bring whatever I need her to bring. It'll be fun.

Thing such as grilled teriyaki beef strips, baked potatoes (where we wrap 'em in foil and toss into the campfire to "bake"), and some corn on cob (if any are available), or how about some yummy chicken shish-kebobs? Then another night, probably big fat juicy burgers. Also will let Joshua make his famous breakfast bagel sandwiches. He does pretty good here at home so he wants to cook us breakfast one morning. That'll be really good.

Needing to make sure that we have all the things needed such as pots and pans, and dishes, and silverware (I have these really cheap silverware that someone had given me for ...my wedding...it is perfect for camping use!) and plastic cups and oh yes, let's not forget the coffee. I will have to make sure my husband brings his cuban coffee thing.

Also making sure my swimsuit still fits (probably will hang from me...) and stock up on sunblock. I plan to fry myself to get a head start on summer tan.

A good friend of mine thinks it's too much bother. Sorry dear, I know you're not a camping type of person but hey, it's actually like a sports, and we love it. Some families are cut out for camping, some arent.

My husband is trying VERY HARD to be a good sport but we do have our moments. Gee, more than 5 years and he is still trying to be a happy camper. Yes I did give him the option of staying home this year OR joining us. But whoever joins us cannot complain...they have no right!

Camping is something that we really enjoy. The freedom of being away from home. The freedom of being away from work. The freedom of being closer to nature (yes, I'll bring my allergy meds). And ... for me, I just adore any waterside campgrounds...I would much prefer going to Lake Superior...but Lake Huron is fine.

After all, sometime later this summer, I plan to go on my own trip...on the shores of Lake Superior. Sometimes it's nice to be alone....

No comments: