Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oh ye of little faith!

The other day, I was asked if I could loan the van to help deliver a brand new dining table/chairs to sister #5's home.

I was little hesitant because the Van has problems. He's old, cranky, rusty and arthritic. And his brakes aren't good either. So I did volunteer to drive it myself.

Then Sister #5 asks me, can Betty (car) do it?

She even sent me a picture of the new table she's getting, along with measurements and after answering my question, yes, it won't be assembled. It'll be in boxes.

Oh sure! Betty can do anything.

She was very unsure of that. (Yes I can see you rolling your eyes at me!)

So I met up with her at Art Van.

I had everything put down in the back, so it's actually bigger than it looks...looks from the outside can be very deceiving.

I even once delivered a 6 foot long box in my car before!

So we poked around Art Van .... I fell in love with this majestic bedroom set. Oh. My. But how does one get up there on the bed? Run and jump? Need a jumping pole, I think.

When our number was called, I jumped into Betty and drove her around to the bay. I had to wait for our turn.

Then when it was our turn, I patted Betty, "You can do it!" and backed up against the loading dock.

The 2 guys there had very high raised eyebrows---very skeptical. Sister #5 was standing there, very unsure.

I just smiled at everyone, "it will fit in her. Betty can do anything!"

So, moving the front seats up a smidge...and making sure the table box was snugly inside, then 3 boxes of chairs (2 each, I assume) on top of that. And the guys were actually quite surprised. Closed the trunk and hey, it fit. And I can see out the back window, still!

Sister #5 just chuckled...."Had to see it to believe it!"

Pfft...ye of little faith in my Betty.

So driving home, I took the highway where I could safely cruise control for the majority of the ride---as it was very difficult to drive with the knees up to my chin. Like...um...Mr. Magoo or something. Like a giant driving a Smart Car---knees up to your ears.

Arrived at Sister #5's house, and happily delivered the boxes. I think her in-laws were surprised too. I just chatted with the mom-in-law about a great deal on clothes for 99cents. I forgot where she said she got it at. Cool!

And Jordan...oh Jordan...my boy! I love that boy. I love the feeling when he says, "heyy!" and comes up to hug me & be picked up. He didn't hug his mommy first. He came straight at me. Sorry, Sis. But oh that was a great feeling. Of course my niece, Katelin, came out and gave me a hug and a big smile.

The father-in-law was just ... I don't know but....I just looked at him, and said, "my car can do anything. Just gotta have faith, right?"

"Yup."

I love my Betty.

No comments: