Saturday, January 21, 2012

Skipping down the Memory Lane...


I’m having one of those days where I wish I could be a kid again.

I chatted with a friend this morning and shared how much I’d love to be a kid again, and toss aside all the grown up stuff, and just be free of all the grown-up cares of the world.

My friend said, we can still be kids, and still have a great time. Many people have become so busy in their grown-up lives, other things are more important than just stopping to smell the roses or lay in the grass and watch the clouds create themselves into a shape, or running down a sand dune, or see the stars at night, catching fire-flies.  What about exploring beaches and collecting shells? A hike in places where there might be hidden waterfalls or rivers/creeks? Or exploring new places?

When I shared a couple of my childhood memories with my friend, it really got me lost into my trip down memory lane…how I’d go with my cousins to a river with rocks where water would cascade into a “swimming hole” … and the rocks were like … a water slide, but very rocky. Little waterfalls to stand under.   The carefree days of summer time…and just having the time of our lives.   

My son had his friend over, and they spent yesterday and today sledding. This morning was freezing cold, and the streets had been plowed. They piled up the snow from the parking lot (across the street from me) into one corner of the lot. The boys discovered that Snow Pile, and as I trudged outside to take them to the “Pit” for some serious sledding, they told me to go back inside. That parking lot Snow Pile is more fun (and fresh).   It brought back memories of when I first moved to Michigan, as a young teenager, I’d build snow forts, igloos, go ice-skating, made snow angels and such. The Winter Kid Stuff we all do. 

Now I'm in a place where I as a mom with 2 energetic kids work hard to give them a happy childhood, and with that, to create great memories. To keep the relationship, the bond between them and myself strong. Knowing that they can always come to me with anything. Maybe I don't have all the answers as a grown-up but I surely can give it all my best.

Now I think I'm gonna go lick the frosting off the cake I baked this morning...

No comments: