Saturday, June 19, 2010

Popo

For the next few days, I am sharing other people's experiences with cancer and sharing their stories with you. This is to remember how devastating cancer can be.  

Yesterday, I interviewed Dave. He is my children's uncle....their dad's brother. He is the fun big bear kind of uncle that all kids are drawn to him. And he has a great rapport with anyone!

Anyway, just a little background story here---Uncle Dave was with me and my family the night Rachel (my firstborn daughter) died.  Our memory was little bit fuzzy but, he remembers being with me when Rachel died or after she had passed.

Dave is a very caring person, and doesn't always show emotion. But he does care.

ANYWAY....I had an opportunity to sit down with him and ask him about his dad, Fred Smith Sr.  Or, "Popo" as my kids called him. He was a fun, outgoing, mischievous grandpa. And Josh was very close to him, it's just amazing with the bond they had.

So, I asked Dave to share his thoughts and feelings about his dad and the sarcoma that took him away.

Dave shares: You know, after I started noticing how sick my dad was becoming, it was a real shock. When he was diagnosed, it was still a shock. So I jumped into helping care for my dad. Trips to the doctors, to the hospitals, doing things at home, stuff like that. When they said it was sarcoma, I knew it's serious. So I had to start preparing myself what will happen. 

I asked him, "after we lost Rachel, has her death helped you prepare yourself with other people?" 
Yes, after losing Rachel, I have been around other people who have gotten sick one way or another. So of course, after Rachel's passing, and helping care for my dad, being with him, helped me be better prepared dealing with death. I've learned to accept that death is part of life. I have had to make peace, knowing it is part of life. And knowing that they are in better hands. 

It was a bit emotional, but it was good to reminsince a bit about him.

Popo, this post is dedicated to you.

Fred Smith, Sr.
Born September 3, 1934
Went to be home with the Lord on March 14, 2004

No comments: